Most of the people I know have been in the same denomination or non-denomination for the majority of their lives and I see great value in that. However, that has not been my lot in life and I thank God for the many parts of the Body of Christ that He has allowed me to be around, fellowship with and learn from. As such, I appreciate and understand the words of Saint Augustine who said:
“In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”
My “essentials” are thoroughly evangelical and include:
- I believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, authoritative, and inerrant Word of God. It is the roadmap for the Christian life both past, present and future.
- I believe in the Trinity; that there is one God, eternally existing in three persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- I believe in the deity of Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His atoning death on the cross, His resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father and His personal return to earth in power and glory.
- I believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of the human nature, and that all are justified by faith in the shed blood of Christ, and that only by God’s grace through faith are we saved.
- I believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life, a life which should exhibit the fruit of the Spirit.
- I believe that good works will necessarily follow true salvation like an apple follows an apple tree or an orange follows an orange tree. While we are most certainly not saved by works of any kind, faith without works is indeed dead.
- I believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those who are saved to the resurrection of eternal life, and those who are not to eternal punishment and complete and final separation from God.